Miracle Fruit – Cujete

Botany lesson of the day.

I posted a short article on this miracle fruit on my other blog sometime ago, that time I was’nt so sure yet about the true identity of this plant. There were lots of inquiries so I was forced to research on the significance and healing powers of this living.

Locals call this plant – Miracle fruit tree, in English its named Ayale, Calabash Tree or Cujete. Its scientific name is Crescentia cuneiflora Gardn.

This particular tree grew about 20 ft. high, I lost count of the fruits that were picked here, but for sure it wasn’t me who harvested them, and don’t you ever dare ask one from me, I’m not in civil terms with the owners of this, although we live in the same compound. Hahaha.

Posted for

This plant claims to heal various human ailments; here are the folkloric uses of Cujete as noted around the world:

In India, used as a pectoral, the poulticed pulp applied to the chest.
• In the West Indies, syrup prepared from the pulp used for dysentery and as pectoral.
• In Rio de Janeiro, the alcoholic extract of the not-quite ripe fruit used to relieve constipation
• For erysipelas, the fresh pulp is boiled in water to form a black paste, mixed and boiled with vinegar, spread on linen for dermatologic application.
• The bark is used for mucoid diarrhea.
• Fruit pulp used as laxative and expectorant.
• In the Antilles and Western Africa, fruit pulp macerated in water is considered depurative, cooling and febrifuge, and applied to burns and headaches.
• In West Africa, fruit roasted in ashes is purgative and diuretic.
• In Sumatra, bark decoction used to clean wounds and pounded leaves used as poultice for headaches.
• Internally, leaves used as diuretic.
• In the Antilles, fresh tops and leaves are ground and used as topicals for wounds and as cicatrizant.
• In Venezuela, decoction of bark used for diarrhea. Also, used to treat hematomas and tumors.
• In Costa Rica, used as purgative.
• In Cote-d’Ivoire, used for hypertension because of its diuretic effect.
• In Columbia, used for respiratory afflictions.
• In Vietnam, used as expectorant, antitussive, laxative and stomachic.
• In Haiti, the fruit of Crescentia cujete is part of the herbal mixtures reported in its traditional medicine. In the province of Camaguey in Cuba, is considered a panacea.
• In Panama, where it is called totumo, the fruit is used for diarrhea and stomachaches. Also for respiratory ailments, bronchitis, cough, colds, toothaches. headaches, menstrual irregularities; as laxative, antiinflammatory, febrifuge. The leaves are used for hypertension. (Source: http://www.stuartxchange.org/Cujete.html)

Share Button

Mood:

This entry was posted in Teacher's Meme and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Miracle Fruit – Cujete

1. Mirage says:

Wow, so many healing wonders!

2. Yami says:

Mukha lang siyang suha ano at may healing compound pala siya..

3. I’ve never seen this fruit. Quite exotic.

4. Pinx says:

Te Vernz, is this the “boongon?” miracle fruit diay na sya? hehehe… favorite baya na nako… salamat sa pag-visit sa akong GM entry!

5. I never heard of such fruit before. Daming healing power ah.

6. Yami says:

Hindi pa pala ito gaanong kilala, sana mapromote pa ang potential nito.

Visiting from my other blog http://www.yamtorrecampo.com/green-monday-magazine-clipping/. Thanks. :)

7. Kim, USA says:

Wow this tree is indeed a miracle. With so much healing components it’s great. It looks familiar to me but the name is not. Thanks for the info! And I also appreciate the visit! Happy weekdays.

Green Monday

8. In my workplace we have lots of this tree. Yes it can heal but I have not tried it.

9. dhemz says:

wow, lami ba pod kaha na sya te.

10. anne says:

wow ang galing sana they can make a tablet or a syrup out of it para lahat makaka take ng miracle fruit na yan.

11. peachkins says:

I believe that this is the first time I’ve seen this fruit. Thanks for sharing!

12. January says:

murag buongon ug itsura ate.. hehe

Visiting from Green Monday
    Hope you can come and visit my GMs: Missy Yellow, Celebrating 6th Month, May 15, 2011 and Multi-color Bracelet. Thanks!

13. Eric Graham says:

I’ve never seen this miracle fruit ever since. This is the first time I’ve heard such plant. Seems interesting especially its healing wonders.

14. mel cole says:

Para syang buongon? Grapefuit? Hope to see you in my G Monday post here.

15. This is so interesting! Is this different from pomelo or buongon? They look the same though. I wanna see what’s the inside. ;-)

I hope you can visit My Indoor Green entry. See yah!

16. shengkay says:

ay ako rin now ko lang to nakita…

follow you mommy vernz on GFC..
    like ko rin yung unang template mo..

17. now i know what’s a miracle fruit. I never had encounter one. Might be nice to try . Thanks for sharing .

18. Jay says:

Where can I buy this miracle tree?

19. Necita Poso-Cabotaje says:

I have 2 cujete (miracle) trees in my backyard. Ngayon ko lang nalaman dami palang gamit nito.

20. noy says:

ung UTI ko nawala after i drink the juice

21. ai-ai says:

here in our place they called it calabash tree… and it works for me too… a year after I deliverd my son, my mentrual falls irregularly that makes me feel sick. my lower abdomen aches a lot everyday because of that. when my brother introduced that fruit to me, my menstual got regular, then no pains I felt since then…. AND my hyperthyroidism got smaller too… Thank God!